Please note: this article is written with the expectation you have a strong knowledge of Google Tag Manager.
Before we begin
You must have the following accounts set up:
- Google Tag Manager (GTM): google.com/analytics/tag-manager
- Google Analytics (UA): google.com/analytics/analytics
- as well as analytic tracking enabled on your ROLLER platform
(request activation here)
Once you have set up these accounts you will need the following:
- GTM Account ID - go to 'ADMIN' > 'Account Settings'
- GTM Container ID - go to 'ADMIN' > in the url bar following 'containerId='
- Public GTM ID - go to 'ADMIN' > located next to the container name
- Google Analytics ID - go to 'ADMIN' > 'Property Settings' > Tracking ID
Set up analytic tracking with the Google Analytics Suite
Step 1 - Create a container file
- Save this link to your computer as a .json file ROLLER_GTM_Template.json
- Replace the following values with your account IDs (marked as // UPDATE VALUE)
<account-id>, <container-id>, <public-GTM-id>, <public-UA-id>
Step 2 - Import your container file
- In Google Tag Manager go to 'ADMIN' > ' Import Container'
suggested import options:
Workspace: Default Workspace
Import Options: Merge (then overwrite)
Step 3 - Check your configuration
- Navigate to 'Tags' and check the following has been added:
- Angulartics Events
- Angulartics Pageviews
- Navigate to 'Triggers' and check the following has been added:
- Angulartics events
- Angulartics pageviews
- Navigate to 'Variables' and check the following has been added:
- angulartics page path
- angulartics event category
- angulartics event action
- angulartics event label
- angulartics event value
- angulartics event interaction type
- Google Analytics Tracking ID - Angulartics
- If all tags, triggers and variables have been added press 'SUBMIT'
please note: before you 'Submit' the changes you can 'Preview' and debug the workspace by visiting your site from this web browser.
Step 4 - Add GTM tracking to your ROLLER checkouts
- Login to your ROLLER admin here
- Go to 'Settings' > 'Integrations'
- Under Google Tag Manager account number, enter your Public GTM ID
(please note: when using GTM you DO NOT need to enter your Google Analytics account number)
- Press Update
Step 5 - Viewing your data from Google Analytics
- From the Google Analytics dashboard go to 'Behaviour' > 'Events' > 'Overview'.
- Click on each of the below for more information
stage > Stage Event
displays each stage of the checkout process, how many customers made it through to each stage as well as how many customers were unique visitors
totalTickets > confirmation
displays a list of "total number of tickets purchased" per transaction/event.
totalAmount > confirmation
displays a list of the "total transaction amounts" per transaction/event.
please note: data will only be recorded once the set up is complete. To test your configuration, you will need to wait for a transaction to be processed.
For advanced conversion tracking you will need to set up ROLLER GA ecommerce. View the article here - Setting up Advanced Conversion Tracking